Best Nespresso Machine – 2018 Reviews and Top Picks
Finding the best Nespresso machine means finding a device that gives you the perfect shot of espresso every time – no easy feat.
Nespresso takes the guesswork out of brewing espresso. Instead of worrying about single and double wall filters, all you need to do is pop in the pod and be ready to enjoy the flavor. The many different flavor pods so the different types of espresso drinks you can have are limited only by your imagination.
For the person who is on the go or entertains regularly, Nespresso machines are part of providing an elegant addition to an experience without the fuss of having to measure, grind, brew, and repeat. That being said, having the best Nespresso machine is a must, because not all espresso machines are created equal.
The Nespresso Machines
The five devices profiled are the best Nespresso machines on the market today. Each of these machines provide fantastic consistency and have many different features allowing you to have the best espresso drinks quickly. All have high power pump systems which allows the Nespresso machines to get the water heated quickly and efficiently.
Finding the right Nespresso machine is critical to making sure you get the best experience. The main benefit of Nespresso is the convenience. Most of these machines take less than a minute to heat up and produce whatever type of espresso drink you are seeking. The other important part of your espresso experience is the milk frothing, and each option offers great companion devices for this purpose.
Here are the short reviews for each Nespresso machine:
The Nespresso CitiZis one of the top Nespresso machines on the market; extremely versatile and powerful, your espresso drinks will always dazzle.When you need a Nespresso machine that is easy on the budget and the eyes, the Nespresso Pixiedoes not disappoint in either category.
A great no-frills Nespresso machine is the Nespresso Inissia; you will save money and get plenty of value thanks to this machine. Having a Nespresso machine that can handle a lot of different functions is easy when you have the Nespresso Vertuoline. For a Nespresso experience that mirrors what you get with latte machines, theDe’Longhi EN550S is the only choice.
Best Nespresso Machine Reviews
1. Nespresso CitiZ
When you need a reliable Nespresso machine that provides consistency and ease of use, the CitiZ is the most popular for good reason. This machine produces espresso in thirty seconds and its compact, sleek design means that it goes anywhere and obstructs very little.
This particular model also comes with an attached Aeroccino milk frother, meaning that you have to do very little work to get a very great latte. This particular unit is well-noted for its consistent reliability, so having to replace the unit is something you will not be dealing with for a long time as many report high marks in durability.
Furthermore, cleaning the CitiZ is much easier than many may think. There is no descaling, all you do once you have finished making your espresso is run the machine without a pod, and voila – it is cleaned and sanitized. Frankly, using the CitiZ could not be easier, and when you take the Aeroccino milk frother as well, the simplicity of operation and maintenance is something that all Nespresso aficionados appreciate.
There are some downsides to the CitiZ however; there have been some issues with the frother’s operation, but fortunately Nespresso is aware so when you reach out to them they are very helpful. Another problem is the loudness of the machine. For some, this may not be an issue but for others it is important to note that the CitiZ is not the most quiet. But many are willing to overlook these issues because of the consistency of the espresso, ease of use, and sleek design.
Ultimately, Nespresso users value simplicity, and the CitiZ delivers high level of efficiency and quality any espresso enthusiast will enjoy.
- Easy insertion and ejection of capsules. For use with Nespresso Original Line capsules only. Not compatible with Nespresso VertuoLine capsules
- Integrated with an easy-to-clean Aeroccino milk frothier for simultaneous preparation of coffee and hot or cold milk froth. Removable 34 oz. water tank. Auto off after 9 minutes of inactivity
- Hermetically sealed and recyclable aluminum capsules lock in freshness and provide exceptional taste. Fast ordering of capsules 24/7 via internet, mobile app or by phone (800.562.1465)
- 19 bar high-pressure pump for a barista-style result, perfectly extracting the flavor and aromas of each coffee capsule and creating a dense creme. Fast 25 second heat-up
- 2 programmable buttons for Espresso and Lingo sizes. Foldable drip tray for different cup sizes. Removable used capsule container holds up to 11 used capsules
2. Nespresso Pixie
When you are looking for a compact Nespresso machine that lacks pretense and simply provides fantastic espresso, there are far worse options than the Nespresso Pixie. However, that statement makes it seem like the Pixie isn’t that impressive of a machine when the reality is the Pixie provides exceptional quality and efficiency. When you have the Aeroccino milk frother addition, this takes your espresso experience to the next level.
The Pixie is smaller than the CitiZ and it has an elegant design that is perfect for any kitchen. Though it is smaller, it still has the ability to provide excellent espresso in about 30 seconds. When you are entertaining, this is something you will greatly appreciate – all your guests will get their lattes quickly and you will not have to spend too much time in the kitchen working on the latte machine.
The Aeroccino milk frother is a great attachment for this Nespresso. There is nothing like having frothy milk added to your espresso to produce a great latte. Furthermore, cleaning the Aeroccino is just as easy as cleaning the Pixie. Simply run the hot water through the system without an espresso capsule in place and your device is ready to go again.
Unfortunately, the downside of the Pixie is it isn’t as reliable as other Nespresso machines. This might be due to its small size, but its rating is lower because there is just not as good a record of reliability as there is with other Nespresso machines.
Ultimately, the Nespresso Pixie is a fantastic Nespresso machine, and thanks to its modest price, you will not have to break the bank in order to have great espresso drinks in your home whenever you would like.
- Programmable buttons for espresso and lungo, folding drip tray for larger cups and recipes, brew ready in 25-30 second
- Backlight indicators, water level detection, auto power-off, used capsule container, convenient power cord storage
- 12.83-inch length by 4.33-inch width by 9-1/4-inch height
- 24-Ounce water tank
- Aeroccino plus. hot and cold milk froth for cappuccinos,hot milk for lattes. hot milk froth in 70 seconds. cold milk froth in 60 seconds.
3. Nespresso Inissia
When you need a small machine on a budget that can fit anywhere that can easily provide the wonderful Nespresso that you love, the Inissia is the option for you! This machine is notable for packing a lot of power in a small design. Furthermore, with a neutral design it can work in any kitchen.
The first thing about the Inissia is that it does not come with the Aeroccino milk frother like others, that would be a separate attachment that you would have to purchase. However, you are not necessarily purchasing the Inissia because you want all the bells and whistles – you are buying the Inissia because of its price point and its ability to consistently produce the best espresso each and every time it is in use.
Because this is a smaller device and it is for the budget conscious, there are some issues with the Inissia that are not found with the other Nespresso devices. Specifically, the nozzle has a tendency to spray hot water instead of it going directly into the cup. Of course, this could be a problem for obvious reasons, but another issue is how quickly the parts wear out. In particular, the nozzle used to puncture the capsules has been known to wear out rather quickly – in some cases only a few months.
Ultimately, the Inissia provides fantastic value for Nespresso users. This device is perfect for people who are just starting their journey into espresso drinks and making lattes. The bottom line is if you have any ambivalence about espresso but have some cash you are willing to spend on a device, the Inissia is the one for you. However, if you are someone who has more sophisticated taste in espresso you are better off with another device.
One thing the Inissia does very well is its design, so no matter what type of kitchen you have this machine will fit beautifully in any space.
- Easy insertion and ejection of capsules; For use with Nespresso coffee capsules only
- Compact brewing unit technology; Fast preheating time: 25 seconds; 19 Bar high pressure pump
- 2 Programmable buttons for Espresso and lungo preparation
- Removable 24 ounce water tank; Folding cup tray accommodates tall recipe glasses; Used capsule container holds 9-11 used capsules
- Energy efficient; A Class energy rating; Automatic power off after 9 minutes of inactivity
4. Nespresso Vertuoline
Unlike the more budget friendly Nespresso machines, the Nespresso Vertuoline provides a fantastic amount of power and versatility and though the price is not premium, ultimately the value provided by this Nespresso machine proves its worth and then some.
The first thing to notice is the design. The Vertuoline has a bold design with classic black color that works will stand out in any kitchen, but not in a garish way. The large water tank means less in the way of having to constantly refill it to make more espresso. Even using the Nespresso pods is easier with this machine. You get convenience and class in one simple device.
The Vertuoline also comes with the Aeroccino milk frother. So, this means for those who are interested in hosting dinner parties that making impressive lattes for your guests is that much easier. Cleaning the machine is also very easy, just simply run the machine without a pod and that should get out any residue.
However, that does bring to light the biggest problem with the Vertuoline – the water heat. There are enough instances of customer dissatisfaction with how hot the water gets – which is simply not hot enough. One of the things necessary for good espresso is making sure the water is hot enough, and this is where the Vertuoline comes up short.
The Vertuoline offers lots for its price, and though water heat issues may persist, these are not things that will be problematic for most folks. When you are entertaining, the Vertuoline is unbelievably efficient and will provide a great latte experience for your guest and yourself.
- Includes Aeroccino Plus milk frother: rapid one touch preparation of hot or cold milk froth; Items sold separately valued at 398
- New revolutionary Centrifusion technology to gently brew both Coffee and Espresso with one touch of a button
- Capsule recognition and code reading technology for blend-specific parametric brewing; Two capsule sizes, large for Coffee and small for Espresso
- Easy insertion and ejection of capsules; For use with Nespresso VertuoLine capsules only; Not compatible with Nespresso Original Line capsules
- Removable used capsule container holds 13-20 used capsules; Automatic off mode after 9 minutes of inactivity; Fast heat up time 15 seconds
5. De’Longhi EN550S
Lattes are always considered a more elite drink than regular coffee, and the De’Longhi EN550S is a Nespresso machine that provides incredible options for the single serve espresso enthusiast. Though the De’Longhi is prohibitively priced, there is incredible value to be found in this particular Nespresso machine, and that’s why it is considered one of the best.
The first reason people love the De’Longhi is the simple, easy way to get 6 different espresso drinks: ristretto, espresso, long, hot milk, cappuccino, and latte macchiato simply and with little fuss. Unlike the other Nespresso machines profiled, the De’Longhi has a removable milk carafe which allows you to place it in the fridge when not needed. This versatility means there are less problems like the ones you read about earlier with the Aeroccino.
Now you may think such a versatile and powerful device would be massive, but the De’Longhi is very compact and fits nearly anywhere in your kitchen. The stylish stainless steel look allows you to extreme versatility and unless your kitchen is very avante-garde, the De’Longhi easily finds it place next to the stove or the toaster.
Similar to the other devices, cleaning the De’Longhi is quite easy. Running the machine without a Nespresso pod is simple, and the milk carafe is dishwasher safe, so you do not have to worry about any accumulation of gunk or scum. With a heat up time of roughly 25 seconds, the De’Longhi does not take long to get started and serving several guests delicious lattes at one time is very easy.
The biggest issue with the De’Longhi for some is the price point, and frankly, people upset with that probably will not be mollified by all the different featured offered. However, fixating on the price point neglects to notice the other possible issues – specifically the milk frother has been known to be dodgy.
Ultimately, for espresso lovers the De’Longhi provides the espresso experience without the labor of traditional latte machines. Not all Nespresso machines are created equal, and in the case of the De’Longhi, the price point surely reinforces this idea.
- BARISTA STYLE: De'Longhi's patented espresso extraction system creates the ideal flow of water with 19 bars of pressure to deliver quality single serve espresso and coffee drinks every time
- SELECTION: 6 tactile pre-programmed beverage buttons to choose your favorite drink: ristretto, espresso, lungo, hot milk, cappuccino, and latte macchiato - all using Nespresso Original capsules
- FOAM AND MILK: De'Longhi's "automatic cappuccino system" creates layered espresso and coffee drinks with dense and rich foam. Integrated carafe dispenses adjustable milk levels to fit your needs
- TECHNOLOGY: Thermoblock heating system speeds cold-start heating time to seconds and maintains optimal temperature to enjoy multiple single serve coffee drinks instantly
- ENERGY: Nespresso Lattissima Touch by De'Longhi has an energy-saving programmable auto-off timer to help reduce electricity consumption
Why Nespresso Instead of a Traditional Machine?
Not everyone has the time or inclination to learn how to be a master barista and make lattes with a home brewing system. The reality is most people are on the go, and often do not host enough events to make learning on a traditional latte machine worth it.
Nespresso has stepped in and much like Keurig with coffee, has created an espresso pod system allowing enthusiasts the ability to have these fantastic beverages without the fuss of other systems. The best part is there is no loss of quality from the Nespresso pods – getting quality espresso for your lattes, macchiatos is just as easy as popping in the pod and hitting the start button.
Having the best Nespresso machine means entertaining is now easier than ever. But, if you are someone who does not like to entertain but loves a good espresso drink, then it is imperative to get a good Nespresso system. The machines listed above will all serve your purpose and then some. No matter what your budget is, having one of the best Nespresso machines will enhance the quality of life you have thanks easy creation of some of the best brewed beverages out there.