Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker — 2018 Reviews and Top Picks
Cold brew coffee is the newest fad in coffee and for good reason. Cold brew is easier on the stomach and it doesn’t take nearly as much effort to make. Plus, if you live in a warm climate but still want a refreshing cup of coffee, having a hot cup just isn’t as nice as a cold brew, and that’s why you need the best cold brew coffee maker.
There is much to consider when looking for a cold brew coffee maker. The biggest thing to take notice of is how the coffee maker steeps along with the temperature requirements. Many of these coffee makers require you to pre-grind the beans before steeping them, so you’ll need a grinder as well. Fortunately, that’s not too expensive, especially if you are going with a manual coffee grinder.
Getting cold brew coffee is as easy as finding the best cold brew coffee maker. Check out the table below for our top picks.
Why Cold Brew Coffee?
The process of cold brew was once restricted to the higher end coffee shops, a technique that only the most trained baristas would dare embark on. But the reality is cold brew is easy enough for the home barista to try their hand at. All you need is a bit of time to learn and understanding of the process.
The good news is the cold brew is more forgiving of the problems that come with brewing coffee. Specifically, flavor can be affected by a variety of variables – how you store your beans, the altitude at which the beans grow, soil considerations, etc. The bottom line is the process from bean to cup is not the simple idea that most think it is. Coffee enthusiasts know this well.
Cold brew allows for a more muted flavor, really allowing you to taste a different element of coffee and the nice part is for those with stomach issues like acid reflux, cold brew allows you a chance to enjoy that cup of joe without having to pop a Pepcid to keep your esophagus from becoming a five alarm situation.
Once you have the beans, you are off to the races!
Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker Reviews
1. Ovalware RJ3
With making coffee, having everything stay airtight is a key to success. This is why when you get coffee beans it is highly recommended to store the beans in an air-tight container such as a mason jar or something else that locks with a seal. This stores the flavor and prevents contaminants from getting into the coffee and causing the taste to go south. The reality is, coffee beans are porous and will absorb the ambient aromas, and thus alter the taste.
How does this affect cold brew you ask – it’s very simple. Cold brew has to steep for a long time and usually has to steep in the refrigerator. So, if you have a cold brew coffee maker that is emphasizing how it is an air tight system, you immediately know how serious Ovalware is. The rubber stopper in the coffee maker means that when you store the coffee in the fridge for it to steep, you can be sure the seal will remain air tight.
The seal is the most important feature of this coffee maker, but other great features are reusable metal filter. Many cold brew coffee makers use paper filters, and those are a pain to constantly replace and restock. The other great feature of this particular coffee maker is the sleek design. You can hold a lot of coffee in this particular carafe while not taking up a ton of room in the refrigerator.
There are some things that end up being a bit disappointing about this particular coffee maker. The first is the filter sometimes allows smaller grinds to escape and get into the coffee. Perhaps this can be remedied with a larger grind size, but still, it’s a problem. Another issue is that the glass doesn’t seem to have the right weight for the price. It seems almost a bit flimsy.
Overall, the Ovalware is a great way to take your cold brew love to the next level, the flaws are small, but they are things to be aware of.
- SMOOTHER COFFEE, EVERY TIME - Cold brewing is 70% less acidic than hot brewing. And richer in taste. Our cold brewer extracts coffee concentrate which can be stored and mixed with an endless variety of beverages to create your own perfect, personal cup of joy
- LOCKS IN FRESHNESS AND FLAVOR FOR UP TO 2 WEEKS - Airtight seal. Easy-access handle. Engineered to perfectly fit within your fridge shelf. Experience refined craftsmanship you can always count on
- QUALITY YOU WON'T REGRET - 18/8 rust-free superfine dual-mesh, medical-grade stainless steel filter & cap. Extra-thick, lab-tested borosilicate glass. BPA-Free silicon airtight seal. Dishwasher safe. Professional home brewing has never been this easy: just mix and pour
- ICED AND HOT TEA COMPATIBLE - Great for loose-leaf tea. Or tea bags. Brew it hot like a traditional teapot, or brew it cold in the fridge. Take your brewing & hosting skills to the next level
- WE WANT YOU! TO BE HAPPY - Choose OVALWARE if you care about quality and customer service. We have great confidence in the quality of our products, and we have the best customer service here on Amazon - which is why we are offering you a Risk-Free purchase. In the unlikely event our product fails to meet or exceed your expectations, you may return our product within 90 DAYS post-purchase to receive a FULL refund
2. Oxo Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker
There is much to say to the person who believes in doing something different. When that person succeeds, it is considered visionary. For example, Apple is the most well-known company that would do things differently and have great success. But, they are working with computers, not cold brew coffee.
And, for that reason alone, that’s why the Oxo should be looked at with a skeptical and ultimately approving eye. This is a cold brew coffee maker that works in a way completely different than the others. Instead of having to put the grounds in a filter and submerge the filter, Oxo uses a design that resembles a drip coffee maker. The grounds are put in the top canister. The water is added and then is evenly distributed over the grounds in a “rain” style. This guarantees even distribution which leads to greater flavor.
The other benefits that this particular cold brew coffee maker has are that you can get literally the amount of coffee that you want on demand. The other great thing is this particular coffee maker can steep up to 14 days. You literally get the right amount of coffee at all times and have an incredible duration with which the coffee steeps.
The downside of this machine is the price point. This is the most expensive cold brew coffee maker on the list. The other problem is the airtight seal is not as effective as a rubber stopper or mason jar would be. There can end up being air intrusion on the carafe.
Overall, the Oxo does a good job of brewing cold brew coffee in a creative way that for many is worth the price.
- Perforated Rainmaker evenly distributes water over coffee grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- Simple Brew-Release switch controls filtration process with one flick
- Brews smooth, low-acid concentrate for cold or hot coffee anytime
- Ultra-fine, stainless steel mesh filter is reusable and easy to clean
- Borosilicate glass carafe includes measurement markings, pairs with stopper to keep coffee fresh in refrigerator
3. County Line Kitchen
he simplest solution is usually always the best solution, and County Line Kitchen has managed to take two disparate elements that exist perfectly on their own – a mason jar and a filter – and turn them into a formidable vessel for making the best cold brew coffee. The reality is the system is remarkably simple, and when you think of all the great simple things in this world, County Line seems to have done one better with their union of the mason jar and the metal filter.
The good news – the mason jar allows for your cold brew coffee to be airtight. When the Ball brothers created the mason jar and it became a huge seller, it was perfect for canning and pickling. Now, apply the same principles to cold brew coffee and it is only natural that the mason jar would fit perfectly into these plans.
The metal filter is great too. It has a fine mesh and will not let the grounds get into your coffee. This is something that is extremely important for many cold brew enthusiasts. The other great thing – the mason jar is heavy duty. Your cold brew coffee maker from County Line Kitchen will last for a long time.
Now, there are some negatives. The first is the conical shape of the metal filter can make it hard to clean. This means you have to pay great attention to how much ground coffee you put in the filter, which can affect taste. The next issue is that several people report issues with the fit of the filter along with the mason jar lid.
Ultimately, this is a very simple design that is guaranteed to please many, so be sure to give it a whirl.
- Effortlessly make delicious cold brew with the amazing County Line Kitchen cold brewer. Simply add coffee, steep overnight and drink. Clean up is quick and simple and all components are dishwasher safe.
- You will enjoy our high quality, stainless steel filter. Our filter mesh is super fine to prevent grounds from entering the coffee. The heavy duty mesh in our filters will last a lifetime. Our rolled and folded seam eliminates any sharp edges.
- Ball mason jars are made to last and built to withstand the canning process. There is no need to worry about breaking your jar, this heavy duty jar can withstand rough handling. The inert soda lime glass also won't leach harmful chemicals into your brew.
- Safe - No BPA, no plastics. Our brewer's components are all made of inert, FDA compliant glass, stainless steel and silicone rubber including our stainless steel lid!
- You can also cold brew tea and our brewer makes a great infuser too! Infuse water with your favorite fruits or infuse oils with spices or other flavorings!
4. Takeya Cold Brew Coffee Maker
One of the greatest things in this world is strength. However, you acquire strength, once you have it, it is imperative to never lose it. Strength, of course can be a tangible or an intangible element, but the bottom line is strength is always highly coveted – even in elements like heavy metals along with more intangible things like strength of character and will.
For Takeya, strength is in the borosilicate glass. This cold brew coffee maker is strong and won’t break. That’s certainly a welcome development for all involved. Thanks to this strong carafe you won’t have to worry about it breaking unless you do something remarkably clever to break it. Of course, this is not a recommendation to try and break it, but if you were so inclined, you’d get quite frustrated.
The Takeya is versatile as well. Besides having the fine mesh filter for the coffee it also has a fruit infuser, so besides cold brew coffee you can do incredible fruit drinks including sangria. Another great feature is how easy it is to clean. The best part is how the filter and the other parts are dishwasher safe. You’ll have no problems here.
There are some problems with the Takeya though. The first is while it claims to be airtight, there is nothing that really seals it, so you will deal with air intrusion. The other issue is the Takeya has some leak issues. This can be especially problematic when you are trying to store cold brew coffee.
Ultimately, the Takeya provides a lot of value for its price and is definitely worth consideration when purchasing these coffee makers.
- New and improved filter with fine mesh
- Makes 4 servings of coffee (1 Quart)
- Airtight, leakproof lid locks in freshness and flavor
- Non-slip silicone handle
- Fits in most refrigerator doors
5. Misc Home Cold Brew Coffee Maker
When you want to stand out from the crowd the first way to do so is with incredible style. When something looks completely different from the rest of the crowd, it is going to get attention and at that point, it is on the device to function efficiently. Great style is imperative to making sure a product lasts on the market and has its own identity.
Misc Home certainly achieves this with their cold brew coffee maker. This particular coffee maker is tall and sleek, the glass handle adds a touch of class and by all visual accounts it appears that this coffee maker can hold a lot of your favorite cold brew coffee.
The filter is exceptionally easy to clean, and that makes a big difference, because cold brew is all about convenience. It’s inconvenient to slave over a coffee maker’s filter just to make more coffee. The other thing that makes this particular coffee maker great is how efficiently it works. Making cold brew is very easy once you find the right grind size.
There are some problems however. The first is the silicone seal gets stuck and/or comes off when you are taking off the lid. That ruins the coffee maker being airtight. The other issue is that this coffee maker is quite skinny, so you can’t store a heck of a lot of coffee in there.
Overall, this is a good cold brew coffee maker if you enjoy the design.
- COLD BREW COFFEE MAKER - Follow easy steps with this cold coffee brewer, and you will no longer need to the coffee shop anymore. This cold brew kit makes 32oz. of smooth cold brew coffee. No paper filters or hot water needed, just the purest tasting cold brew coffee that you will use daily and love.
- MODERN DESIGN - Contemporary designed 1 liter borosilicate glass cold brew pitcher with easy to use handle and pour spout. This glass and stainless steel iced coffee maker was designed to be attractive enough to leave out on your table or kitchen counter for serving. The durable, shatterproof glass pitcher brews up 4-5 servings, keeps your cold brew coffee cool and looks great in your kitchen. Easily can be used to make cold brew tea or a cold press coffee maker as well.
- TOP GRADE STAINLESS STEEL COLD BREW COFFFEE FILTER - Our high-quality laser cut dual mesh stainless steel filter is BPA and plastic free and keeps your coffee grinds from leaking into your cold coffee, providing the perfect amount of steeping overnight. When done using the cold coffee brewer, simply remove the filter, dump out the coffee grounds and move the silicone ring to the base of the lid. Put the filter away and pop the lid back on the pitcher and store in the fridge for later enjoyment
- PERFECT GIFT WITH COLOR BOX - This cold brew iced coffee maker comes in a full color gift box. Makes for the perfect Christmas gift, birthday gift, graduation gift, or house warming present.
- 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We strive to provide 5 STAR customer service and products. We're confident you'll love our Glass and Stainless Steel Cold Brew Coffee Maker. However, if you're not completely satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund within 90 days of purchase--NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Add to your cart today!!
The Cold Brew Process
For people who love coffee but want a milder, less acidic method of enjoying a good cup of coffee, the cold brew process is something that they embrace enthusiastically.
The key with cold brew is it must be a longer steeping and brewing process than with the drip coffee makers. With the traditional brewing systems, water has to be warmed between 195 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. For cold brew, temperatures that hover around 90 degrees Fahrenheit are critical. The next step is to store the steeping coffee in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, you can enjoy the coffee with cream and sugar just as you would a regular cup of coffee. You will notice immediately how cold brew is less acidic and sits better in your stomach. Once a staple of coffee shops, cold brew is now available for everyone and it is important to have the right beans for this purpose.
When you need a change of pace for your morning, there are few things that can be more refreshing than cold brew. Fortunately, you can use cold brew coffee in a variety of ways – even as a refreshing cool down drink! The choice is yours with this versatile version of coffee that is easy on the stomach – and the wallet.