Best Coffee Makers with Grinders – 2018 Reviews and Top Picks
When it comes to getting the best coffee the key is getting coffee that is freshly ground instead of pre-ground coffee, so understanding that principle, it makes sense that you have stopped on by to learn about the best coffee makers with grinders.
Having the best ground coffee is as simple as purchasing a coffee maker with a built-in coffee grinder. The best part is the efficiency with which the grinder and coffee maker work in unison.
The grinder allows you to have your beans in an airtight environment to keep the flavor fresh and refreshing for each morning. Furthermore, there is much to the idea that when you grind your beans and then immediately brew coffee, it tastes better than the alternative of using pre-ground beans that you buy in a store.
Our reviews below feature the five best coffee makers with grinders. They are a great investment and if you are unsure, just think about all those times you have been frustrated by the lackluster taste of coffee brewed by the home coffee machine and had to stop and buy coffee on the way to work, then this is the list below. Check out the table below for our top picks.
The Drip Coffee Machine
Perhaps there have been more consequential inventions over the history of time – for example, the light bulb – but the drip coffee machine is nearly as ubiquitous as Edison’s most famous invention. Every house has one, and they are remarkably easy to use.
In the old days, you basically had to use devices like the French press to make coffee. So that meant heating up water, grinding the beans, pouring water over the beans, stirring, pumping, and ultimately hoping that you didn’t get too much in the way of grinds in your cup. There are many people today who still have not been able to master these types of devices. Though, in fairness, you do not need electricity to use them.
The drip coffee maker allows you simply flip a switch, and if you have already pre-filled the hopper with beans and the reservoir with water, you are well on your way to a great cup of coffee. Now with water purifiers and reusable filters, the drip coffee maker makes getting the best cup of coffee something that is relatively easy and thoughtless – and really, what could be better?
The drip coffee machine is easily now the most popular way to make a cup of coffee. Besides what is used at home, the majority of restaurants are fans of the drip coffee maker because of the ease of use along with the consistency of the cup of coffee. Because it is now so cheap to make coffee thanks to the drip coffee machine, many restaurants have no problem offering free refills on the initial cup of coffee. This machine has revolutionized how we start our days and how we end our dinner parties. In short, this invention is remarkably underrated.
After all, the last thing you want to do when you wake up is have to think about all the different steps needed to get a cup of coffee. The drip coffee maker solves that problem.
Best Coffee Maker with Grinder Reviews
1. Cuisinart DGB 900BC
Let’s get the bad news out of the way right away when talking about this Cuisinart machine: it is the most expensive machine on this list. By a lot. But if you look at the price and decide this machine is not for you, then what you have done is priced yourself out of the best coffee machine under $200. That would be a shame because this particular coffee machine is unparalleled in quality and functionality.
With the Cuisinart, it is important to work from the top down. Starting with the hopper, the air-tight lid guarantees your beans will not lose their flavor due to infiltration of the air. The beans are ground with a burr grinder – always the preferred setting to a blade – and deposited into the reusable gold mesh filter. Then the coffee is brewed straight into a thermal pot which is guaranteed to keep your coffee warm despite any conditions.
There are also a ton of great features including brew pause – as your coffee brews you can remove the pot, pour yourself a cup, and then replace the pot and the coffee brewing will recommence. There are alarm features, so you don’t even need to hit the button to turn it on. You can choose the strength of your coffee, and the filters are easy to replace. The bottom line – Cuisinart appears to have thought of everything with this particular coffee maker. Also, all the parts are dishwasher safe, so you can simply throw everything in the dishwasher and you are all set for your next cup.
The drawbacks – besides the price, are things that you can easily handle. The chute between the hopper and the filter basket can get clogged with grounds from time to time. However, the brush that is included in the packaging should do the trick with keeping this clear. Make sure you do this once a week. Also, be sure to replace the filters every month so that your water is always as close to pure as possible.
The reality is all drip coffee makers are not created equal, and the Cuisinart is proof that there is a better way to get great coffee.
- 24-hour fully programmable coffeemaker with auto shutoff, brew-pause feature, and Grind off function
- Double-wall insulated stainless steel thermal carafe with comfort grip handle holds up to 12 cups of coffee
- Built-in automatic burr grinder and 8-ounce bean hopper holds a half pound of beans. Strength selector and grind control fine-tune intensity and volume
- Includes: Charcoal water filter and permanent gold tone filter that ensures only the freshest coffee flavor flows through. Measuring scoop. Instruction book
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards.Please refer the set up/ troubleshooting details provided in the video under images section and the manual under product description field for the smooth usage of the product
2. Black and Decker CM 5000B
It is vitally important that when you think of powerful things that you associate the right names with these items. Black and Decker is well-known to people who use power tools such as the drill, and because of this reputation, when it comes to building something that can both grind coffee beans effectively and brew a delicious cup of coffee, there is a lot of gravitas behind the Black and Decker brand.
The first thing to notice about the Black and Decker is while it grinds the coffee beans, the grinder itself is not very loud, and in fact the sound is quite easy to get used to and won’t annoy you. Many people can’t report this type of experience with a grinder, and that’s a shame because it takes away from the benefit of having a grinder and coffee maker.
The other significant features that people love include the easy to use programming settings and the deep filter and brew cup. The reason why these features work so well is because when you have an intuitive programming system, you don’t have to worry about the irritating scenario of if something goes wrong and your coffee isn’t made in the morning. Also, the deep filter and brew cup allow your coffee to steep longer so the flavor is more robust.
There are some problems with the Black and Decker. The first of these problems is the most important, and that is the machine leaks. The reservoir is not the most secure, and this could be very problematic. The other issue is the cheaply made parts. These not only contribute to the leaking but can create an overall fire hazard in your kitchen. Fortunately, Black and Decker will help you out, so they have that going for them.
Ultimately, the Black and Decker is a very good machine that will deliver a great cup of fresh ground coffee.
- Integrated Grinder/Brew Filter - The innovative design combines the coffee grinder with the brew filter basket for fast, fresh brewing and simple cleanup
- Streamlined Grinding and Brewing - Fresh coffee, fast, the all-in-one design makes it easy to grind whole beans, giving you the full flavor and aroma of your favorite beans every time
- Whole Beans or Grounds - Brew you favorite cup, the grinder quickly prepares whole beans, and it can be turned off for normal brewing with pre-ground coffee
- Custom Brewing - Use the brew strength selector for coffee that fits your taste, options for regular, bold, and strong
- QuickTouch Programming - Easily program the 24-hour auto brew feature so you can wake up to a fresh pot of coffee, plus, the backlit display highlights the time and the program you choose
3. Breville BDC650BSS
Sleek design is something that is very important for the modern person, in fact if something has a great design, the chances of it selling well are through the roof. But there are many benefits of a sleek design besides aesthetics. For something the be sleek, it must have efficiency built into the design itself. In other words, you can’t have something that is sleek but operate as if it as a jalopy.
Breville understands this very well, and their design incorporates great efficiency into a sleek design. They dare to create a built-in grinder and coffee maker that works very well when creating that cup of coffee that you will absolutely adore on your way out the door to work.
The other great features include the LCD screen. You can control everything about your coffee maker here and it is really easy to use. In fact, this LCD screen compares favorably to those on units at twice the price. The other great feature of this coffee machine is the grind controls. You can get 8 different settings, which is perfect for those with more refined coffee palettes.
The big issues, however, are the inconsistency with making a cup of coffee. It doesn’t always work the way it should and you can have the same settings but get a very different cup of coffee. The other problem is the price point. This is an expensive machine, and so if you are on a budget, this is not the machine for you.
Ultimately, having a great cup of coffee is achievable with the Breville, and the design and LCD screen make it a very appealing purchase.
- 8 Strength Settings: Choose from 8 strength settings or choose Pre-Ground coffee option to brew coffee just the way you like it and bean hopper capacity is 1/2 pound of Coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage and transfer
- Brewing Capacity: Single cup with variable size options or up to a 12-cup carafe. Dimensions:9"(W) X 14"(D) X 16 & ¼" (H). 1/2 lb. of Coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage and transfer
- Removable drip tray for 7.5" height clearance to fit tall cups and travel mugs.if Carafe overflows:Always ensure the carafe is completely empty before brewing.
- LCD Screen: Provides real time feedback on water level, grind size, strength selection, grinding time, brewing time, and selected settings
- Programmable Auto-Start: Automatically starts grinding and then brewing coffee at your selected time; Pre-brew Temperature Control: Delivers water at the ideal temperature from cold start.
4. Hamilton Beach 49989
Perhaps life should be taken one step at a time, and when you are taking life one step at a time, it should be done in style. Hamilton Beach has taken that motif and turned it into a coffee machine that can produce up to ten cups of coffee but does so one at a time.
We know what to expect when we see a Hamilton Beach product – it must be stylish and somewhat innovative. When you have this particular Hamilton Beach product, you are certainly getting that – and more. How often do you end up throwing out the coffee at the bottom of the pot? Because of the single cup serving this means you only brew the coffee that you are going to use. The reservoir window means that you can easily see the how much water is in the system. The brewbasket is easy to use and doubles as the perfect vessel to fill the reservoir, and on the side is the clock and programmable features, meaning that delicious cup of coffee will be waiting for you the moment you wake up.
There are some downsides to the Hamilton Beach, however. This machine is a leaker – the reason is the brewbasket is intended to hold the coffee and dispense as needed. Well, the plastic wears and the screws will leak after prolonged exposure to hot coffee. The other issue is the brewbasket doesn’t keep the coffee warm, so you basically need to brew what you will drink right away otherwise problems will arise.
Ultimately, the Hamilton Beach is a very interesting product that can serve you quite well, just be careful with how you use the on-demand coffee dispensing.
- Two ways to brew - with whole beans or ground coffee
- Grinds whole beans and brews for fresh flavor
- Also brews with traditional ground coffee
- Automatic rinse cleans grinding chamber to prevent clogging
- Brew into one or two mugs or up to 16 oz. Into a travel cup
5. Capresso 464.05
The reason why people love the idea behind grind and brew is because the process is efficient and allows you to have great control over the process once you have purchased the beans. In fact, the reason why many love the grind and brew system is because ground coffee has its flavor diluted the moment it is ground and bagged. Whole beans are meant to be stored in an air tight environment and only to be taken out when they are ground.
Capresso knows this, and has staked their brand on providing a great experience. The good news is, for the most part they got it right. The single biggest achievement that this machine can claim is the conical burr delivers consistent grinds every time. This is important for having coffee steep correctly.
The other features that it does very well on are programmable settings. They go to another level and you can even set a type of grind to a specific time, for example a strong cup in the morning, and a mild cup in the evening. Another great setting is the drip tip. Many people like to get a cup of coffee before the pot has finished brewing. There is no spillage while you pour your cup and the machine resumes brewing without a hitch.
The problems this machine has involve how loud the grinder is. This is so loud it’ll wake you from your sleep. If you don’t like to be woken up, then you may want to pre-grind your beans the night before. The other issue is if you want to change up your coffee beans, it’s near impossible to get the beans out of the hopper.
Overall, Capresso does a good job in their entry into the grind and brew market.
- Set the bean setting to coarse . If you are using oily beans, set the bean setting to the coarsest setting and ensure you are cleaning out the grinder as instructed. Fully programmable 10-cup coffeemaker with built-in conical burr grinder.
- Five fineness settings for light to dark beans let you adjust the grinder to your preferred taste
- Large 6-ounce bean container holds enough beans for 20 cups of brewed coffee before refilling. Permanent GoldTone Filter is easy to use and clean
- 24-hour programmable clock/timer with easy-to-read LCD display shows time, grind and strength settings
- Drip stop for pouring a cup while brewing. Two-hour safety shut-off. Watts/Volts/Hertz: 900W/120V/60Hz
Whole Bean or Ground Coffee for your Drip Machine?
The preference is yours, but for the freshest coffee the best idea is to have a grinder on hand get the beans ground right before they go in a filter. If you have a coffee machine that grinds the beans, then making sure they are in an air tight container before putting them in the hopper guarantees fresh flavor.
For ground coffee, make sure you are always using a clean filter. Some filters do accumulate some scum and a really helpful tool to keep the reusable filter clean is a toothbrush. Get the water in your sink nice and soapy then start scrubbing with the toothbrush and you’ll be surprised what comes off.
The best part is when you maintain your drip coffee machine through periodic but vigorous cleaning, you can all but guarantee that your machine will produce amazing coffee for as long as you have it.
Everyone loves a great cup of coffee in the morning, and that is why you need to have a reliable grind and brew coffee machine. The machines reviewed above will give you the best possible performance while also making a fantastic cup of coffee. Get the one that best suits your needs and you will find that it was a great purchase that didn’t cost all that much.